Costa Rica, Tarrazu
The easy and enjoyable compliment to your “me time.”
|Tasting Notes||Caramel, Orange, Bright & Smooth|
Imported from arguably the finest farm in the Tarrazu region of Costa Rica, this Med (city+) roasted and medium bodied coffee features notes of fine chocolate, caramelized sugar, and subtle orange citrus. It’s easy to understand why this coffee is the most popular offered by E&B with it’s smooth, silky flavor, start-to-finish.
Rain-forest Alliance Certified, Fair-Trade/Coop, No-Spray (no herbicides or pesticides).
E&B sources this magnificent coffee from a small, family-owned estate in the picturesque landscape of the Tarrazu region of central Costa Rica. The coffee produced from this farm is considered by experts to be among the very best in the world. As the family’s flagship farm, it’s reputation and renown constantly drive them to match its excellence in all of their coffee endeavors. Over the years this property has allowed them to introduce innovative and progressive farming and management methods that will be used successfully into the future.
Considered to be perhaps the world’s most socially conscious and environmentally sound coffee farm, sustainability is nothing new. This farm has decades of history demonstrating the progressive evolution of their farming model.
Their progressive and pro-active approach to these important issues is documented by many years of published interviews, news articles, essays, and speeches. They are proud public advocates of sustainable agriculture for decades.
- All weeding is done by hand – no herbicides or pesticides are used
- Soil testing is conducted twice each year and fertilizer formulas are developed to keep the soil in proper harmony
- A 300-acre forest reserve of old growth woodlands was set aside more than 20 years ago as a nature refuge
- A residual water-treatment plant and hydro-electrical turbine is used to create renewable and nonpolluting power
- Biomass coffee drying furnaces developed that burn only the waste residue from the coffee fruit
- Coffee processing facilities are water conserving mills – using only a fraction of the water used by traditional mills. All water used is treated at both mills through our sedimentation ponds before returning it to the water supply
- Terraced coffee groves, defensively planted natural vegetation, and an intricate and carefully maintained drainage system guard against erosion
- Wages paid are significantly higher than other coffee growers. Employees are financially rewarded for their skilled and conscientious labor
- Fully equipped dental and medical clinic
- Although many workers have their own houses and live off of the farm, The farm provide modern housing that comes with their own hydroelectric power and piped in spring water
- Life-estate housing program for retiring workers who have no home of their own
- Workers’ children provided with school uniforms, as they annually assist the local schools with educational materials
- Active supporters of surrounding communities’ public works
- Invested over $100,000 in the past ten years in renovating schools in Colombia. This has positively affected over 2,500 rural Colombian children in our communities